Design and technology is an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject. Using creativity and imagination, pupils design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values. They acquire a broad range of subject knowledge and draw on disciplines such as mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art. Pupils learn how to take risks, becoming resourceful, innovative, enterprising and capable citizens. Through the evaluation of past and present design and technology, they develop a critical understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world. High-quality design and technology education makes an essential contribution to the creativity, culture, wealth and well-being of the nation.

The department has a suite of six rooms, many facilities and a wide range of equipment, ranging from traditional tools to more up to date equipment.  Equipment includes a laser cutter and dedicated computer areas which enable pupils to further their designs.


We offer a range of Design Technology specialisms drawn from Product Design, Food Preparation and Nutrition, Food Technology, Systems Control and Textiles Technology throughout Key Stage 3, where skills such as problem analysis and solution, research methods, design and control mechanisms are developed.  They are taught how to use current technologies and consider the impact of future technological developments.

Steps of Progress

Please click here to see steps of progress for KS3 Design Technology


We currently offer the following GCSE’s with AQA:-

  • Systems and Control (4565)

  • Textiles Technology (4572)

  • Product Design (4557)

Controlled Assessment, which includes both designing and making new innovative products, accounts for 60% of the GCSE, with the remaining 40% being a written exam. 

Design and Technology: Systems and Control Technology (4565) Systems and Control

Technology enables students to design and make systems using a range of electronic, mechanical and pneumatic components. Clear, simple structure to help your students revise for and relate the work done for Controlled Assessment to the exam. A practical approach that encourages your students to design and make systems with creativity and originality in a variety of practical activities, using a range of electronic, mechanical and pneumatic materials and components.

Course Link:

Textiles Technology

Pupils following the Textiles Technology option explore a large range of materials, techniques and processes in a project based context to contribute to a final assessment piece.  Pupils learn about the manufacturing methods and develop their skills in design and product development.

Course Link:

Product Design

Product Design is a two year course consisting of a design folder and an exam.  Year 10 is focused on Unit 1 looking at Materials and Components, Design and Market Influences, Processes and Manufacture.  Practical workshop skills are developed through mini focused projects.  Pupils work with a client to design and make a commercially viable product.  They produce a comprehensive design portfolio to accompany their fully working prototype. 

Course Link:


The two year A Level courses provide the knowledge and skills required for further study in the area of Technology or other academic studies and are offered with AQA in the fields of Food Technology (1541) and Product Design (1551).  In addition, a BTEC Level 3 course is offered in Vocational Costume.

Course Links:

Product Design -

BTEC Production Arts Costume -

Past students have found their A level technology courses invaluable when furthering their studies to become Architects, Engineers, Graphic Designers, Dieticians, Food Technologists, Costume Designers and Interior Designers.


There are a wide range of extra-curricular activities on offer. School Technology Clubs are available to Key Stage 3, 4 and 5 students after school and our students are regularly involved in Technology Tournaments and Young Chef Competitions.


The Design & Technology Association -

"What is D&T – and why do we need it?"  - A 10 minute video produced by the D&T Association. It is aimed at students, parents and employers, and shows the importance of the subject in a balanced curriculum and why, with the current skills shortages in the creative, manufacturing and engineering industries, it is a valuable subject for young people to study.